Wednesday, June 2, 2010

QUIET PLEASE

For the past several months I have become so aware of the amount of stress that noise creates for me. It seems there is seldom a time or place that is free of noise. White noise can even create stress. I've tried to make some changes to reduce the amount of stress I experience and I believe it has had a positive effect. There are some noises over which I have no control, but for the ones I do, I have deleted them from my daily life. Some of those noises I have eliminated are:


1. I do not turn on my car stereo when I drive.

2. I turn off the vent fan as soon as I step out of the shower.

3. I mute the TV when no one else is in the room watching it.

4. I keep the sound turned off on my computer.

There are several more I just can't think of them at the moment. But each of these makes a difference in my level of stress.

I especially enjoy getting up early in the morning before my husband and dog are up. The quiet is very calming and peaceful. I enjoy going to bed at night when it's dark and quiet.



A Quiet Place.....


Went for a walk along a dirt road,

kicking pebbles as I went along.

After a while I could see in the distance,

trees surrounding a lake peaceful and strong.




Continued walking closer to the lake,

looking around for a quiet place.

Too many problems, nerves on edge,

slow down, relax, unwind, not race.




A spot to sit under a willow tree,

lean back, relax enjoy the day.

A gentle breeze passing overhead,

lost, but will I find my way?




Opaque clouds all sizes and shapes

slowly, silently floating above.

If I open my eyes what will I see,

a horseshoe, seashell, maybe a dove.




Slapping bouncing rocks in its way,

sound of water not moving fast.

Air smells so clean, pure, untouched,

a pebble over the water I cast.




Lean over to see all the wet stones,

reach in, feels cool, refreshing to touch.

Opening my eyes, must have been a dream,

surely I did not sleep too much.



Written by:

Karen Palumbo



Here are some scriptures that speak of quietness and that give me peace: (ESV)

"He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside STILL waters." Psalm 23:2

"The Lord your God is in your midst, a might one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will QUIET you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing." Zephaniah 3:17

"First of all, the, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and QUIET life, godly and dignified in every way." 1 Timothy 2:1,2

"But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and QUIET spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." 1 Peter 3:4

"For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, 'In returning and rest you shall be saved; in QUIETNESS and in trust shall be your strength." Isaiah 30:15

"And the effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, QUIETNESS and trust forever." Isaiah 32:17


When you stop to think about it, the world is a very noisy place. Some people really like the hubbub and the action with sound. Are you one of those? Or are you like me, preferring quiet times? We all experience both and maybe prefer one or the other at different times, but overall, most of us lean toward one or the other. Which way do you lean: toward the noisy life or toward the quiet times and places?

9 comments:

RCUBEs said...

This world that pulls us away from having a quiet time with the Lord. No wonder, many are stressed out. Thank you for those calming Scriptures. God bless you.

Anna Margaret said...

Hello and God bless you with Love -
Thank you so much for stopping
by my Blog and for your kind words.
Your blog is lovely!
Have a wonderful day <3
Anna Margaret~

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hi! Thank you for following my blog--I wouldn't have found you if you hadn't, so thank you! ;)

I'm the kind of person that is at one with silence. I, too, keep my computer on mute. I turn off the tv when no one is watching. I turn the radio down when my hubby leaves the room or sneak it down in the car while he's not looking. I urge my kidlets to have indoor voices--but if they are too quiet, that means something's amiss!!
I love the sound of running water (as in waterfountains or rivers).
I love windchimes--you should see my collection!
Noise? Hmmm, I guess the only time I like loud sounds is when I want to dance and feel it vibrate through me. Those times are the only times I want to release my stress!!
Thank you for sharing the lovely scriptures! <3

Just Be Real said...

Wow, I can relate to many of your points here in trying to keep sane. Thank you for sharing and following it up with Scripture. Blessings.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I too need quiet...I like what you said...white noise.. And this poem is awesome. I can actually feel myself there. It's in the woods..in nature that I am free and at my best. Awesome post.

Lisa K. said...

I, too, love quiet, or at least a respite from man-made noise. There's nothing like being someplace where you hear only the sounds of the natural world.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Yes, quiet is a time when He can speak in the recess of your mind. Its amazing what He tells you when you give Him the time.

Cathy said...

Thanks for those thoughts. I prefer quiet, but I live alone and usually have the TV on. And I turn on the radio in the car. Also I just got a new AC window unit that is rather loud. I can turn the fan down.

Shawn said...

I love the night when the house is quiet. After midnight can be such a creative writing time for me. Thanks for stopping by my blog ( I hope you become a follower). I just joined your blog because I enjoy the positive writing on your blog. Thanks again.
Peace & Karma
Mr Monkey