Saturday, May 22, 2010

PRIORITES

Do you really want to know what is inside this shrink? Well, I am a bit overwhelmed at all the things in my life that need my time and attention. My mind is constantly catalogging and re-catalogging because at any given moment one of my many "priorities" races itself to the forefront. I have a basic rule-of-thumb priority, but for some reason it gets bumped and shaken at times.

Here are some of the things I'm experiencing physically and emotionally as a result of over
extending myself:

low energy level               stomach problems
worry                                anxiety
increased neck pain          decreased productivity
poor memory                    inability to focus
fragile emotions                tense/preoccupied

My basic rule-of-thumb priority schedule is:
1. God and my relationship to Him
2. My Family (husband, children, grandchildren, & my Shi Tzu, Indivi)
3. My career & extended career (writing)
4. My friends
5. Health & Leisure Activities

I believe the things that suffer the most on my priority list are my family, my friends, and my health & leisure. Because of that, I have this pervasive feeling of guilt alway lurking around that I should change something, but I don't know what and I don't know how. In fact, I am sure that this state of my priority list causes me to be less efficient and successful in my spiritual life and my career goals.

SO.....I have prayerfully sought God and what He would have me to do so that I can set aside those things that easily beset me, get more organized and be able to have the balanced and productive life He wants me to have.

I have several options to deal with my over extended condition.

1. I could do what others and situations in life keep tugging at me to do. But then I would end up in a "heap" unable to even remember my name.

2. I could do what I believe to be the best for my life. Well, that's how I got in this mess in the first place. Obviously, I don't know what is best for myself or I was too busy to really          notice I was drowning in my own busyness. I wasn't even aware that I was doing things my own way. Now that's being way too busy and stressed out.

3. I could let God lead me in the things that are His will for me, like I should have been doing all along, like I wanted to think I was doing all along. When I focus on that for just a moment I can think of several different things right off the bat that I can leave behind.

I am choosing course #3. It may be hard for me to change some of the things I'm doing. It may cause other people to be a little "disgruntled" with me that I'm not doing as I did before. It might feel a bit strange to be doing things differently. But that's okay. God has a plan for my life and I have to follow His plan, I will follow His plan. And I will be closer to Him, closer to my family and friends, and be a better Psychologist and aspiring writer.

"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 3:13-14 (NIV)




5 comments:

Charlotte said...

Wise advice for you and for lots of other folks. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Mevely317 said...

Whoa .. by the second paragraph I thought you were talking about me! :) Like Charlotte just said, wise advise! I needed to see this today ... thank you soooo much!
Blessings,
Myra

Elizabeth Dianne said...

Great scripture--and great advice--doing it God's way is truly the only answer to a lifetime of inner joy. Sometimes it takes us too long to learn that. But He is not through with us yet. Praise the Lord!

Blessing for a wonderful weekend,
Dianne

Renee said...

Good advice ~ God's way is always best even if it is not what we had planned!

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Real truth in these words! It's a constant struggle, to maintain priorities, and to keep those priorities in the right order!

Thanks for sharing... love the visuals. My brain works well with those! :)

Sonja